So, I made butter for the first time today using my vitamix. It was so good! There’s nothing like fresh food!
Write a review
- 2 cups (16 oz.) heavy whipping cream (I used organic)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- Pour the cream into the vitamix and place the lid
- Starting at variable 1, turn blender on and slowly increase the speed to variable 10, then to high
- Blend until the cream thickens and you hear a change in the sound of the machine
- Stop the machine, using a spatula, scrape down the sides, pushing the whipped cream into the center of the container
- Using variable 5, blend for 5 seconds, stop and scrape sides again
- repeat this a few times until you begin to see liquid, you'll also notice that the sound changes and the blades seem to move more easily
- Blend for a few more seconds until solid butter sets up in center on top of blades
- Using a fine strainer, drain the butter. What drains is buttermilk. I didn't save mine this time around, but I intend to next time
- Put the butter into a bowl and add salt to taste. Manipulate the butter using a spatula or a spoon to push out as much liquid as possible
- I used a small mason jar to store mine. I'll probably take half of it for storing in the freezer. We simply don't go through butter that quickly.
- If you don't have a vitamix, try using a blender, a mason jar or a food processor.